Floor Care & Maintenance
Hardwood floors are durable, enduring, and beautiful in any home or business. But, without proper care, they can wear, dim, and lose whatever appeal and value they had at the start.
Ensure that you provide the greatest care for your floors through simple, steadfast, effective care and maintenance, and you’ll never have cause to worry. This can save you hundreds, possibly THOUSANDS in the long run!
At Bates Flooring, we have the expertise you need to help you do that, preserve the look and feel of your floors for life. Below are some of the best care and maintenance tips we can offer based on our years of experience. Take some time to review them all for the best results:
- Sweep & Vacuum Regularly: This simple process can pick up sand and debris that would otherwise eat away at your floor’s finish.
- Reduce Moisture: If there is a spill on your hardwood floors, clean it up as soon as you can. Excess moisture can cause unsightly stains that are difficult to eliminate
- Use Felt Protectors: Avoid using plastic, as it can cause more damage to your hardwood than you expect.
- Know Your Wood: Learn about the hardwood flooring in your home or business so you know what type of upkeep it needs. Waxes, polishes, oils, cleaners – many types of hardwood should do without the addition of chemicals altogether.
- Use the Right Cleaning Products: Do NOT use sheet vinyl, tile floor care products, or self-polishing acrylic waxes on hardwood floors. Use only the prescribed cleaning products from the flooring experts at Bates.
- Do Not Wet-Mop Hardwood: Doing so can dull and discolor the finish on the wood and leave harmful residue.
- Lift Furniture: Do not drag furniture over hardwood floors. Depending on the softness of the material, it could permanently scar it for good.
- Keep Humidity Constant and Even: Too much humidity in a room, and your floors could warp. To avoid cupping, peaking, cracking, and shrinkage, use a humidifier in the dry season and none during the more humid months.
For more care and maintenance tips for your hardwood floor, or to schedule refinishing work or a new install, please call Bates Flooring at 973-332-5693.